What We Do
What We Do
For 39 years, BABA has developed and promoted the work of the modern artist blacksmith. BABA has united thousands of professional and amateur smiths (and interested others) across Britain and the rest of the world in a spirit of friendship and collaboration, to learn about, enjoy and advance the extraordinary craft of creative blacksmithing.
What We've Achieved
- A world-wide support network of generous, like-minded men and women with a mutual love of forging hot iron.
- Numerous large-scale collaborative public artworks, such as the Blacksmith's Needle (Newcastle), the motifs for the gates to Shakespeare's Globe (London), the International Pillar of Friendship (Ironbridge) and the Foundry Boxes Sculpture (Ironbridge).
- Strong links with other British and international blacksmithing organisations and educational establishments.
- A world-class magazine for our members - ARTIST BLACKSMITH - which features themed guest editor contributions, fascinating debates, project case studies, business and legal issues, photo galleries and international stories.
- Research into craft education in schools and colleges, blacksmithing for children, and major achievements in the setting up of training and apprenticeships.
- Three and a half decades of fantastic and varied events, conferences and masterclasses, combining learning and collaborative participation with good food, music and great social camaraderie.
- An online platform for members to promote their work to potential clients.
- Major shows of contemporary ironwork across the country.
- A monthly newsletter providing members with opportunities to access information, find or seek employment and sell or buy equipment.
- Discounted books, goods and services for members.